- In a multi-site network, branches where few calls have to be recorded, the deployment of a recorder does not require a dedicated recording server for each remote site.
- Theoretically, this recorder eliminates the complexity of the switching infrastructure compared to the passive recording method, because the RTP streams are sent directly to the recording server automatically.
- Can be easily scaled by adding new recorders to the system if more capacity is required.
- Does not require extra DSP resources from the network compared to the active (conference-based) method.
- Recording tone can be generated by the phone.
- Encrypted calls can be recorded since CUCM 8.0
The Verba passive, network spanning / traffic monitoring-based recording engine technology supports all Cisco phones, however, the Verba central recording technology needs cooperation from software built into the Cisco phones to deliver the recording function. Not all Cisco phones support this recording mode, one requirement is the build-in-bridge technology in the phone.
Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager versions: 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, 9.x,10.x, 11.x and , 12.x and 14.x.
Supported Cisco IP phones (certain phones are only supported on the latest CUCM versions, please check the links above or run a report (see below) on your CUCM for the latest information):
- Cisco 7832
Cisco 7914 Sidecar
Cisco 7915 Sidecar
- Cisco 7916 Sidecar
Cisco CKEM Sidecar
- Cisco 8821
- Cisco DX70
- Cisco DX80
Cisco IP Communicator
Cisco Jabber for Windows
Cisco Jabber for Mac
Cisco Jabber for Android
Cisco Jabber for IOS
Step 1 Login to Cisco Unified Reporting on the CUCM admin screen.
Step 2 From System Reports select Unified CM Phone Feature List.
Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.0 supports the recording of encrypted calls via the RTP forking-based interface. The following table helps you to identify supported call scenarios regarding the encryption feature.
|Non-Secure Recorded Phone||Authenticated Recorded Phone||Secure Recorded Phone|
|Non Secure SIP trunk to the recorder||Supported||Not supported||Not supported|
|Encrypted SIP trunk to the recorder||Supported, but the forked RTP will not be encrypted||Not supported||Supported|
Possible deployment of Cisco Central call recording with RTP forking:
- Single server solution: All Verba services (Administration, Recorder) are on one server. It is recommended only for a few user POC or trial deployment (10-20 users).
For the installation guide see: Installing a Verba Single Server solution
- Media Reposiroty + Recorder Server: The Verba administration/storage server is deployed separately from the recorder.
For the installation guide see: Installing a Verba Media Repository and Installing a Verba Recording Server