Having an extensive backup procedure in place for your call recording solution is very important. In case of a hardware failure or other serious disruptive events, this will let you recover all your recorded calls and configurations into a newly reinstalled Verba Recording System.
What should I backup for a proper restore?
Your backup is complete and a new Verba Recording System could be completely restored from it (including all recordings and configurations), if it consist both of the following two components:
- the media files - media path, archiving path, storage targets, all disk folders where you are storing recorded call media)
- the SQL database backup file - an SQL database backup file created by the SQL server during a backup job
You need no backup of the followings for a complete restore:
- registry - all configurations are included in the database
- Verba executable files - those are installed after re-installation
When should I backup?
Depending on your business requirements you can do daily, weekly or other regular backups. Most users chose daily backups.
We recommend you are running your file backup:
- during the lowest traffic period of your operation (in most cases between 1:00-3:00 AM during the night)
- after your SQL database backup have finished (so your .bak file is available for file backup)
How do I find the media files?
You will find all your media files in the following places:
- Media Folder - if you have Administrator rights find these under Administration menu / Verba Servers / (select your server) / Change Configuration Settings / Directories / Media Folder
- Storage Target Folders - if you have Administrator rights find these under Administration / Storage Target Folders
Include all these folders in your file backup for complete coverage of all your recordings.
How to do an SQL backup?
Your goal with the SQL backup is to create a .bak backup file that your can handle using your standard file backup methods.
Please refer to these topics:
- Creating a one-off full database backup
- Scheduling backup and maintenance for SQL Server Express (without build-in backup policies)
- Scheduling backup and maintenance for SQL Server Std and Ent (not available on Express Edition)
How to do a restore?
You can completely restore your Verba Recording System if you have a backup for the media files and an SQL database backup. No other information is necessary.
Steps to restore a Verba Media Repository
Step 1 - Restore your database into a Microsoft SQL Server
Step 2 - Copy the media files to a folder on your planned
Step 3 - Install the Verba Media Repository (during installation point to the restored SQL Server and the restored Media folder)
Steps to restore a Verba Recording Server
Step 1 - Install the recording server
Step 2 - Go to the web interface and click on the newly installed recording server in Administration / Verba Servers menu item
Step 3 - Follow the instructions