Please follow the steps below to install the Verba Desktop Agent:
Step 1 - Launch the VerbaDesktop.msi installer as Administrator
Step 2 - The install kit starts installing Verba components. Simply press the Next button to start the installation.
Step 3 - Read the Verba license agreement carefully before you click Next button.
Step 4 - Select the destination folder for the Verba Desktop Agent. You can change the default setting by clicking on the Change button and selecting another folder. If you have finished the destination folder configuration, press the Next button.
Step 5a - If a Verba CA is being used, then select the "Generate Certificate Signed by Verba Media Repository CA" option, then click on the Generate button. In the Generate the Verba Server Certificate window provide the address of the first Media Repository server, the Verba administrator username and password, then click Generate. Finally, click on the Next button. (If this option is being used, Step 5b can be skipped.)
Step 5b - If there is an existing certificate from a previous Verba Desktop Agent installation (in case of reinstall or upgrade), or a pre-generated certificate for the desktop exists (requested from a local or a 3rd party CA), then select the "Select Certificate" option, then click on the Browse button.
Certificates generated by the Verba CA
Based on the Friendly Name of the certificates the server and the CA certificate can be identified easily. On the screenshot, the first one is the server certificate and the second one is the CA certificate.
Step 6 - Select the service account type. If the Domain Account is selected then please note the followings:
- The account name has to be entered with the domain
- The Domain Account have to be part of the Local Administrators group and requires the Log on as a service right
When do I need domain account?
- Ifthemediafileswillbestoredonanetworklocation. In this case, make sure that the service account has rights to the folder.
- If windowsauthenticationwillbeusedfortheSQL connection (Step 7). In this case, the same account has to be used for the services.
Step 7a - The Verba installer is asking for the MS SQL Server credentials. The server name can be entered either as an IP address or an FQDN. Both SQL server based and windows authentication is supported. All Verba servers and components have to use the same database! If Verba install kit has installed MS SQL Server 2012 Express Edition as a prerequisite, the password for the sa user is: Verba456+. If SQL Mirroring is being used or AlwaysOn with Multi-Subnet failover, then a different SQL Driver has to be selected. In this case, the driver has to be installed on the server. Click 'Test Connection' to verify your input. If the tests were successful, click Next.
Step 7b - If the incoming connection from the desktop is not possible (because of firewall), then uncheck the "Enable Automatic Node Registration" setting. In this case, the desktop has to be added manually to the server list in the System \ Servers menu after the installation. Click Next.
Database connection troubleshooting tips
- Try to ping the database server. Try to connect to the 1433 port on the database server. (telnet or Test-NetConnection)
- Check if the user has the DB Creator role.
- If Windows Authentication used then check if the user has the Local Administrator group membership and the 'Logon as a service right'.
- Check if the correct instance nameisprovidedattheSQL Server name. If there are multiple instances, then the SQL Server Browser service must run on the SQL server side.
- If you installed SQL Server Express Edition, then check if the TCP/IP protocol is enabled under the SQL Server Network Configuration in the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
Step 8 - Provide the address of the Verba Media Repository server, and the API user password. The API user created at Step 14 during the installation of the Media Repository server.
Verba API instead of direct database connection
If the direct database connection is not possible from the desktop PCs, the Verba Desktop Agent can use the Verba API connection for reachning the database. In this case, the Verba Web Application will work as a proxy between the Verba Desktop Agent and the database.
Step 9 - Click Next again to start installing the services. When it's done, click Finish to exit the installer.
The Verba Desktop Agent installation package provides an unattended installation feature to support automated, enterprise-wide installation of the software. The installer is MSI based. For more information see Installer Parameters