The recording system includes powerful tools for automated storage management. The core of Verba's storage management functionality is the Verba Storage Management Service.
This service runs on all Media Repositories and Recording Servers, but manages different tasks on the different server roles:
- Storage management on Media Repositories: the service executes data retention policies, and if the Media Repository is used as the primary media storage it receives media uploads from Recording Servers.
- Storage management on Recording Servers: the Recordings servers store the recorded media files on their local disks temporarily. When recording is finished, the Storage Management service is responsible for uploading the recordings to the primary storage.
Data management policies
Administrators are able to define archiving, deletion and other processing rules based on various filter criteria.
Policy execution is carried out by the Verba Storage Management Service on the Verba Media Repository (with the exception of Uploading policies which are executed by the Recording Servers).
For more information on Data Management policies, see the corresponding article.
Data retention time setting
Actions in the system that manage the lifecycle of recorded media are referred to as Data Retention actions. The various methods of the configuration of data retention times are described in the Data retention article.
You can define multiple different folders where media is stored by the system. These are called Storage targets.
Storage targets can point to Verba Media Repositories, SAN volumes, NAS volumes (with UNC path), NetApp SnapLock, EMC Isilon SmartLock or Actiance Vantage.
Data retention policies that are set up with an action to move or copy media files need a storage target defined to specify the location to move/copy to.
Here are a couple of examples for the use of Storage targets with the appropriate data retention policies:
- to separate media of different users/groups in your organization
- add additional disks to the system
- offload system disks to e.g. SAN disks automatically
Data can be imported into Verba from several sources. These sources together called Import sources.
Import sources can contain recordings, CDR data, and other archives.
There are two ways to upload the recorded media files from Verba Recording Servers to the main storage.
- Configure uploading on the Recording Servers (server level setting) individually.
To do this, go to Administration > Verba Servers > Select your recording server > Change configuration settings. In the configuration tree expand Storage Management > Upload.
Enable uploading and specify the storage server. This method only works if you use your Verba Media Repository or a standard network storage as your media storage.
- Configure uploading via Data Management Policies using the Upload policy action. This is a system wide configuration applying to all recording servers (where enabled) which allows you to create filters and upload to multiple storages based on conversation metadata.
This method also supports uploading to NetApp SnapLock, EMC Isilon SmartLock, EMC Centera, Hitachi Content Platform and others. For the latest list of supported platforms, refer to the Storage targets article.